27 1 / 2014
After being mildly intimidated by the huge workload ahead of me in the process of creating a single zone for my game, I’ve been procrastinating a lot. But no more! This is to be a comprehensive To-Do list for the zone.
- Model & texture the following:
- 4 types of trees: White Oak, Weeping Willow, Common Ash and Small Leaf Linden. The Oak is to add body to the treeline as they are extremely large. The Willow is to add boundaries along water edges where needed. The Common Ash is to add volume to the mass of trees and to simply break up the monotony of the Oaks and lastly the Linden is to create boundaries that are not water edges. Wow, I didn’t think so much thought could go into trees.
- 3 types of bushes: One simply green in order to add some colour to areas that need it, as well as a flowering bush to break apart the green, and lastly a yellowing one, again for variation in colour. Perhaps this could be modeled as a single mesh and simply textured three times to achieve each colour.
- Multiple flowers and weeds to run along water edges, forest floors and rock faces. These flowers/weeds will be completely modeled before begin normal mapped with transparency onto a single mesh of about 5 tris. This will result in a 2-D plane, however the flower will not need to be highly detailed and any more detail will be wasted computational power.
- Various rocks and boulders. These rocks and boulders will be modeled in Z-Brush and simply normal-mapped (like all the meshes, really) onto a simple mesh. The rock could then be scaled, rotated and moved in various ways to create the illusion of lots of different models. These rocks will be used to again add variation to the landscape, especially cliff edges and rocky areas as a texture is not sufficient.
- Foliage, such as small bushes, broken branches, pebbles and fallen leaves. These will help populate the ground and break up the monotony of any ground textures.
- Collectibles, such as mineral ores, herbs, fish, and wildlife. This step will require a separate pass as a large amount of planning will be put into this (as it makes up the body of the gameplay).
Wish me luck, Tumblr! And remember, follow for progress and more updates.